On this page find out more about Work Placement, School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships and our Job Education Training (JET).
Work placement is a mandatory component of industry-based Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses that students can choose as part of their studies for the NSW Higher School Certificate (HSC). It is a planned opportunity in a quality host work place that enables senior school students studying industry-based courses, to practise and develop their industry competencies and their employability skills in a vibrant real work context.
Work Placement is coordinated across NSW by a network of Work Placement Service Providers (WPSP). WPSPs are non-government, not for profit organisations contracted to support and coordinate the mandatory work placements for students.
Workplace Learning is the WPSP for the Illawarra, Southern Highlands, Shoalhaven and Far South Coast regions. We work closely with local schools with secondary enrolments, TAFE NSW colleges and campuses, Registered Training Organisations and employers to coordinate the work placements for all eligible students across these regions.
In 2019, Workplace Learning organised 3,740 placements with a week of industry skills training directly related to the HSC course the students studied. Once again, Hospitality (40% of placements) and Construction (22%) were the most highly sought-after placements. Metal & Engineering, Business Services, Retail and Electrotechnology were also very significant industries.
The industry frameworks for work placement
Early Childhood Education and Care
Information & Digital Technology
Manufacturing and Engineering
Tourism, Travel & Events
Benefits of Work Placement
• Assists students to stay engaged with learning
• Schools are able to offer a diverse range of subjects and activities
• Helps teaching staff stay aware of trends across a range of industries
• It’s like work experience and is compulsory for Years 11 and 12 students and directly relates to their Vocational Education and Training (VET) course
• Students put into practice the skills they’ve learnt in the classroom
• The future workforce gets to try a career to see if it’s right for them
Want help preparing your students for their work placement?
Work Ready Sessions
Workplace Learning can conduct free sessions for students required to undertake work placement as part of their VET course.
Topics covered include:
• Documents required (completion of Student Placement Record, Student Contact Emergency Cards and Student Journal)
• Processes to follow for work placement
• How to prepare for work placement and the pre-placement interview
• What to expect in the workplace
• What to do if they have an incident or are unable to attend work placement
• How to take advantage of their work placement opportunity
• Answer specific questions or concerns regarding work placement
To organise a work ready session for your class, please contact your School-Business Partnership Manager.
Job Education Training
JET assists students to achieve their transition from school to work and further learning objectives. Suitable for Year 9 to 12 students, JET assists them to:
• Understand their strengths
• Find their fit
• Identify post-school options
• Plan their pathway
• Attend structured work experience
• Gain work readiness
• Become employable