Work placement is a mandatory component of industry-based Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses that you can choose as part of your studies for the NSW Higher School Certificate (HSC). It is a planned opportunity in a quality host workplace that enables you to practice and develop your industry competencies and your employability skills in a vibrant real work context.
The industry frameworks for work placement
Information & Digital Technology
Tourism, Travel & Events
• Mentoring by experienced staff and tradespeople
• Looks great on your resumes and reference.
• You receive an industry qualification at completion of HSC.
• Work placement may lead to a job with the host employer.
• You attend and assist in a business for one week (35 hours)
• You put into practice the skills you have learnt in the classroom.
• You get to try a career before you decide on undertaking an apprenticeship or traineeship.
Job Education Training
JET assists you to achieve your transition from school to work and further learning objectives. Suitable for Year 9 to 12 students, JET assists you to:
• Understand your strengths
• Find your fit
• Identify post-school options
• Plan your pathway
• Attend structured work experience
• Gain work readiness
• Become employable
Steps to Success
The S2S Program commenced in September 2018 and is funded by Training Services NSW and is primarily aimed at Year 11 students in the Illawarra and Shoalhaven regions who are focused on a pathway to work and in particular an Apprenticeship or Traineeship.
Through career path planning, relevant training and work experience, S2S aims to ensure these young people are either in employment and/or enrolled in further studies.
The program has already greatly assisted many young people:
• 233 have a career path plan
• 46 are studying Vocational Education and Training full-time
• 100 completed a fully subsidised part qualification
• 16 in full-time employment
• 18 in apprenticeships
• 3 in a traineeship and
• 1 in a School Based Traineeship